Friday, June 13, 2014

I am a Spartan!


Last month I participated in a Spartan Race at Fort Carson with my parents and Joe. It was by far the most difficult race that I have every participated in. It was a 4.5 mile race with 24 military inspired obstacles. The race took place on a Saturday and we were in the 12:00 heat. We arrived on post at 10:00 to watch my 12 year old sister participate in the kids race. She is a natural athlete and did really well.

We waited around and watched as hundreds of people of all shapes and sizes (mainly really fit) started the race. Mal met us there to watch my sister and to take photos. It was nice to have someone there to document this race. I started to get nervous as the race approached and I remember thinking to myself that I really should have trained. At 11:45 we needed to go to the start line. Just to begin the race I needed to jump over a 4ft wall. I successfully made it over and got into the start line. My nervous got worse.  But, it was great to have my mom, dad, and Joe there to support me!


The race began and the first obstacle quickly approached. I was feeling good, it was an easy obstacle. But sure enough it was  followed by jumping over a 8ft wall! I only tried to jump over an 8ft wall once before the race and it was a success! I felt good the first half of a mile and my nerves started to settle, until I saw a man passed out on top of the hill we climbed. I re-gained my confidence once I completed a few that I didn't think I would be able to do. Around the 1 mile mark I needed water, but a water station was no where in sight. My mom stuck with me and encouraged me to push through it and I made it to the next water station. 
We made our way up and around the hill doing everything from pulling a cinder block to wearing a ruck sack up and down that hill. The course took us though a underpass through sewer water and over muck. It was gross. Once we  made it back to the viewing area we were faced with very cold water and mud, we climbed up hills and slid down them into ice cold water pits. We army crawled under barbed wire and pulled heavy things. The entire time we were encouraged and help by strangers, people we didn't know pulled us up. The spartan race not only puts you through difficult obstacles but it forces you to work as a team with people you don't know.  
There are too many obstacles to go over in detail, but here are a few photos to give you an idea of what I went through. 











Overall, I am very happy that I finished the race! It was great to start the race with my parents and Joe and to finish with them! I am not sure if another spartan race is in my future, but I so glad that I signed up for this one. It was tough and I wanted to quit, but this race taught me that I am fit and I can do anything! It taught me the true meaning of team and best of all, I can now say that I am a spartan! 

Have you ever ran a mud or obstacle race?
If not, is it on your bucket list?



                                                  Follow Me: BlogLovin / Twitter Instagram



1 comment:

  1. I want to do a mud run in the future. It looks like a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...