It is Monday and I am ready to get back into shape! I know it is easier said then done, but I will be challenging myself with posting some Motivational Monday posts about my fitness journey. Every Monday I will share some of my favorite gym tips, health topics, and just discuss random fitness/health related issues. I really hope that these posts will keep me accountable for getting back to where I was in the picture above. I hope you will enjoy them and feel free to ask questions, share posts, or give me ideas on what to write about.
I would love to sit here and tell you that I live a perfect, healthy, and fitness happy life. But, that would be a lie. I have struggled big time since my move to Colorado. I stepped on the scale today and realized that I have gained 15 pounds and I have been having back issues. I went from going to the gym 5 times a week, running 4 times a week, yoga 4 times a week, and Zumba 2 times a week. My schedule in LA was filled with plenty of opportunities to workout and lots of activities to keep me active and busy. Fast forward to Colorado, I wasn't going to the gym and don't even like to run in this horrible elevation.
The best way to describe my fitness routine is on again, off again. Sad, but true. I have a few reasons to be on again: 1. I will be in one of my best friends weddings this July! 2. I am planning a fabulous cruise around the Mediterranean with my sister in June. 3. I am not happy with the way I look. 4. I am getting married next year!!!
Here are my top 5 tips on Getting Back in Shape:
- Set goals - Write them down, tell a friend, put them in your planner. It ALWAYS helps when I let people know that I am back at it. But, make sure they are attainable goals. My goals this week is to lose 3 lbs ( I am sure most of it will be water weight) and to drink at least one green drink a day (I am trying to increase my veggies and eat cleaner)!
- Drink Plenty of Water - I know you hear this all of the time, but it really works. It really helps me shift my focus when I think I am hungry (I tend to eat when I am bored). It also helps with the bloat. I have read in many fitness magazines and websites to drink a full glass of water when you wake up. I will be working on carrying a bottle of water with me and get the recommended amount of water daily.
- Research - Every time I am back at the gym I find that I am more successful, the more I invest into it. Makes sense right? I spend my free time looking at Pinterest to get motivated and get ideas. I read fitness magazines, I read online articles. Anything that gets me motivated and educates me on how to stay healthy really helps. I am currently loving Jamie Eason and everything that she has to say!
- Make Time to Workout - I am really guilty of "being too tired" or "not having time". But lets get real, there is always time. I wouldn't be so tired if I actually got off of my butt and worked out. When getting back in shape I have to make time to workout or it won't work. There will always be excuses so I set aside 1 hour a few times a week to go workout. I also try to so more physical activities with Joe on the weekends. This weekend we will be going snowboarding, sometimes it's as simple as a hike.
- Challenge Yourself with New Ways to Workout - Last time it was Zumba, this time it is rock climbing. My gym has a rock wall, I am trying my best to get on the wall as much as possible. Even if it is for just 10 minutes after my normal workout. I am also trying new group fitness classes at my gym. You never know what you will like until you go out there and try it! Get out there and have fun!
What are your go-to tips for getting back into shape?
Do you have any amazing fitness posts? I would love to read them. Share them in the comments!