Sunday, May 12, 2013

I work out!....Kinda

Like most Milsos, when my boyfriend left for deployment I decided to start working out. I have always been an active person, but I was tried of not being happy with the extra weight that I have gained the past few years. I made it a point to work extra hard to keep with it to see results. My mom always tells me that it takes 6 weeks to see results, but for me it took 10. I have lost 10 lbs so far and am very happy with the changes that I see in my body. I have been working hard and it feels great to see the changes and the inches lost.

My sister, mom, and I will be running the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon this September and running has not been a part of my work out routine at all.  I need to start running (I keep saying this but have not followed up on it). I have been lifting weights, doing zumba with a friend from work, and practicing yoga.


I have been practicing yoga, on and off, since 2009 and when I moved back to LA I was unable to find a yoga studio that felt right. Just over a month ago, I decided that I was going to take a chance with a studio that is very close to my office. The studio is AMAZING. It is a hot flow yoga. The only problem is that the classes are not at the best times. I often eat lunch at my desk so that I can practice durning my lunch break.  A co-worker introduced me to zumba about the same time that my boyfriend left. Zumba has been a very fun way to lose weight. We only go 2 times a week and we dance our butts off. The first few times I went, I felt so out of place and awkward. I am not the best dancer and to this day I feel like I am concentrating on the work out and not just dancing. I am sure that I look funny, but it gets the cardio job done. The final part of my work out routine is weight lifting. I have never been into weight lifting before, I hate going to the gym for many reasons. But I decided to give it a shot.

On Saturday, I went back to the gym for the first time in awhile. I have been staying active with yoga and Zumba, but I had a 2 week gym hiatus.

On my first day back to the gym I did legs. I know most people hate leg day, but I love it! My average leg day looks a little like this:

  • Squats with a barbell - 15 reps with 115 lbs - 3 sets
  • Leg press - 15 reps with 130 lbs - 3 sets
  • Calve raises - 15 reps with 90 lbs - 3 sets
  • 100 Squats - I try to do 4 sets of 25
  • Quad Machine -15 reps - 3 sets 
  • Hamstring Machine - 15 reps - 3 sets
  • 20 mins on the Stair Master
  • 15 mins in the Sauna

At first this was a little bit intimidating, I was always afraid to add weight. But it turns out that I am a lot stronger then I realized. I have also been staying away from the treadmill and doing my cardio on the Stair Master. I have really been getting a lot of great results with it. At first I was only able to last for about 5 minutes, but after using the Stair Master for a few weeks I have raised my time to 20 minutes. 

These past 3 months I have spent a lot of time working out, but I love it! It has made me feel better mentally and physically. I am very excited to continue my work out journey to be the best person I can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...