Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Koko Head - Hawaii

One of the things that I wanted to do on my trip to Hawaii was go on a hike! I love hiking. Stevee and I try to go on at least one hike per week. I like to take advantage of living in LA and actually having mountains to hike.

I really wanted to go on Stairway to Heaven, but since it isn't exactly legal to be on it, we decided to go to Koko Head. From what I gathered, Koko head was an old military look out spot with a Pill Box on the top. For those who don't know what a Pill Box is ( I had no idea), it is a concrete box with a look out. There are other things up there also. The Koko Head trail is made from an old railroad, but it just feels like a bunch of stairs. I was eager to start this trail. I started off feeling really good. The first quarter of it is not that difficult, it is a slight incline. 





Then you get to the bridge. I would have to say that this is the scariest part of the whole thing. Although the bridge is not that long, it seams like you are on it forever. The bridge is the most well kept part of the entire railroad, as you can see in the picture below. Just standing there for a little while you see many different ways that people cross it. The bridge is about half way to the top and there are plenty of spots to rest before you go across it. There is also an alternative route to the right that you can take, but of course I had to take the bridge.

The final part of the trail is the most difficult. It is seems to be straight up. It's like never ending stairs. The worst part of it was all of the locals who are flying by you. This hike isn't very difficult, it just gets your heart rate going. There are people of all ages on the hike, we saw a little girl who was about 5 and an older man well into his sixties. The views are amazing on the way up and even better at the top.
Once you are up top, keep going to the right to see the old military look outs. It is so amazing what can be seen up there. We spent about 20 minutes up there but we could have spent more time. You can see a lot of the island from that point. Overall the Koko Head trail was very cool and I would recommend it to anyone who plans on going to Hawaii and likes to hike.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...